Gaudí designed two sacristies connected via the cloister that will surround the temple. The western sacristy has one underground floor and five finished floors above ground with a glass dome.
In the sacristy, there are two wardrobes: one for storing liturgical vestments worn by celebrants and priests during mass and the other for various liturgical items such as chalices and patens.
In order to properly understand the symbolism of these two wardrobes, there is a new audiovisual explanation included in the tour.
Visitors may enter the sacristy from inside the Basilica. The Liturgical Path takes visitors around the interior of the floor. The Liturgical path comes to an end with a two-minute video that explains how Gaudí designed two wood and wrought-iron cupboards to store everything needed for mass. After being almost completely destroyed, they were restored following the original designs. Noteworthy symbolic elements include Jesus Christ’s monogram (IHS), the decorative metal representing the nails that pierced His body (misere novis), the leaves representing the plant used to make His crown, and the monogram of the Holy Family (JMJ).
The unique exterior construction will be the foundation for the temple’s central towers.
Wrought-iron hearse designed by Antoni Gaudí for the temple’s crypt around 1898. Triangle-shaped candelabra formerly used for celebrating tenebrae, which corresponds to the prayers of the office of readings (matins) and laudes in the Paschal Triduum.
Wrought-iron candelabra designed by Antoni Gaudí for the temple’s crypt around 1898. Used to celebrate mass, placed next to the altar.
Candelabra with two candlesticks topped with a Latin cross, designed by Antoni Gaudí for the temple’s crypt around 1890, with two additional candlesticks Used to celebrate mass, placed on the altar.
CANDLE STAND FROM THE CRYPT OF THE SAGRADA FAMÍLIA
This candelabra is for pillar candles, which are large, fat candles, and was used especially for Easter celebrations.
There are 4 wooden pews designed by Antoni Gaudí on display. Three of them are from the crypt at the Sagrada Família and one from Colònia Güell.
MONOGRAM FROM THE CEILING OF THE CHAPEL AT CASA BATLLÓ
Chalk monogram with iron core from 1909 (Jesus – Mary – Joseph) demonstrating Gaudí’s devotion to the Holy Family
CHAIR AND PRIE-DIEU FROM THE CRYPT OF THE SAGRADA FAMÍLIA
Designed by Antoni Gaudí in 1898. Wooden reproductions from circa 1943
Moveable wooden pulpit designed by Antoni Gaudí for the temple’s crypt. Reproduction from approximately 1943 of the original from 1898. Formerly used by preachers to deliver their sermons to the congregation.
Tabletop missal stand for the crypt of the Sagrada Família Used to hold the missal, placed on the altar.
Two tabletop candlesticks for the crypt of the Sagrada Família designed around 1890. Placed on either end of the altar, in front, with candles lit during mass.
Chalk altar cards for Casa Batlló designed 1904-1906. From the 16th or 17th centuries until the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965), three altar cards were placed on the altar to help the priest say mass. Only the middle altar card was obligatory, with the hymn Gloria in excelsis Deo, the Cannon and the Credo. The other two altar cards (introduced in the 17th century) contained the prologue to the Gospel according to St. John and the words Lavabo inter innocentes manus meas, respectively.